- How can I have 2 Microsoft windows side by side on the same display?
- How does the IT Support process work?
- What is a computer virus?
- There is no display on the monitor, what do I do now?
- Why can I not open email attachments?
- Why is my printer not printing?
- How do we initiate a remote support session with ABCOM?
- How do I do a speedtest from my broadband connection?
- How do I access voicemail on my Hosted phone?
- How do I access ABCOM Hosted Exchange webmail?
How can I have 2 Microsoft windows side by side on the same display?
NOTE: On multiple monitors, continually pressing a keyboard shortcut combination below will have the active window snap to the side and scroll in the direction of the arrow key through multiple monitor screens.
( = Windows-key, RA = Right Arrow, LA = Left Arrow, UA = Up Arrow, DA = Down Arrow)
On a Single Display
- + LA = Snap the current active window to the left side of the screen, or unsnap a window that is snapped to the right side of the screen.
- + RA = Snap the current active window to the right side of the screen, or unsnap a window that is snapped to the left side of the screen.
- + UA = Maximize the current active window to full screen.
- + DA = Minimize the current active window to the taskbar.
On a Dual Display
- Active window on right display:
- + RA = Snap to the right on the right display
- + LA = Snap to the left on the right display
- + LA + LA (LA two times) = Snap to the right on the left display (change display)
- Active window on left display:
- + LA = Snap to the left on the left display
- + RA = Snap to the right o the left display
- + RA + RA (RA two times) = Snap to the left on the right display (change display)
How does the IT Support process work?
Refer to this FAQ as a general starting point and maybe the resolution is already listed.
If not then please log a Ticket with our IT Support Helpdesk.
There are 3 simple, easy ways of logging a Ticket.
- By emailing, email@example.com
- By telephone 01444 871200 option 1
- By clicking on the support icon on your workstation.
Once you have reached out then one of our engineers will arrange to remotely connect to your computer.
As soon as you enable access we begin the troubleshooting process.
We will keep in touch with you whilst we correct the problem. Once we are happy and we’ve confirmed the fix then we will close the ticket.
If the problem recurs, just get in touch. We can easily reopen the ticket as it is already in the system for reference.
Back to Index
What is a computer virus?
In today’s world, a computer virus is a piece of software, a program that has been intentionally created to cause a user hassle, or spread to other computers, or ultimately destroy the data on a computer. To help prevent a computer from becoming infected by a virus, developers have produced anti-virus programs that stay active on the computer, helping to protect it. It is important to realize that many computers do not come with these already installed and that if computers do come with these programs, the programs may expire within 90 days.
We recommend centrally managed Antivirus suites, regular backups and well informed staff to avoid serious impact to your data.
Talk to us for how to achieve this quickly and effectively.Back to Index
There is no display on the monitor, what do I do now?
Double-check that the power is on. If there is no power light (green, blue or orange light) seen on the monitor, then try pressing the power button until the display appears. If your computer monitor was on and you’ve stepped away from the computer for a while, and upon returning the screen is blank, it is likely that the computer is asleep.Try moving your mouse, clicking the mouse buttons, and/or pressing a key (space bar, arrow keys) on the keyboard to wake it up. Make sure that the monitor is connected properly to the back of the computer and all power is on.
Back to Index
Why can I not open email attachments?
If you have ever encountered an attachment that you couldn’t open, it was probably because you don’t have the software necessary to view the file.
If you don’t have Adobe Reader or another PDF-compatible program, you won’t be able to open that document.
The usual suspect is the .pdf file, for which you can download a free PDF reader. If your problem involves a different file format, a quick search on the attachment’s file extension (the three letters after the full stop in the filename) should tell you what type of program you need.
Contact the sender of the attachment, perhaps an alternate version or format of the attachment is available.
Back to Index
Why is my printer not printing?
Let’s assume that your printer’s drivers are up-to-date and that it has enough paper and ink or toner to print. Try turning the printer off and on. Unplug the printer and plug it back in.
Check your printer’s print queue by looking for the printer icon in the system tray and double-clicking it. The print queue shows you the status of each job as well as the general status of your printer.
The print queue shows you the status of each job as well as the general status of your printer.
The print queue is your best bet for troubleshooting printer problems.
Ensure that ‘Use Printer Offline’ isn’t checked. Sometimes, printing (ie, sending jobs to the print queue) while your printer is turned off can cause Windows to set your printer to work offline, and that can stall jobs sent later.
Once you have tried these steps, try turning the printer off for 10 minutes and then switch it back on.
If all these steps fail please do give us a call or raise a support ticket.
Back to Index
How do we initiate a remote support session with ABCOM?
If we need a remote support session please follow the following steps:
Navigate to https://www.fastsupport.com/
you will see the following prompts and we will supply you with a support key to add.
Then we should be able to take control of your computer.
Back to Index
How do I do a speedtest from my broadband connection?
Using interactive broadband tests is not perfect but helps in giving us an indication of general internet speeds.
Before testing speeds please be mindful of the following:
- Downloading from the internet or adding more users will bottleneck the internet connection.
- Wireless will never be quite as fast as a cabled connection.
- Business broadband is designed differently from residential and may have certain restrictions (ie. skype , downloading and file sharing).
When ready please navigate to www.speedtest.net
Click on begin test
Once the test has completed, make a note of the Download and Upload speeds and let us know your results.
Back to Index
How do I access voicemail on my Hosted phone?
You will be able to access all voicemails from your desk phone.You can access any voicemail from any desk phone
in the business, providing you know the Company Voice Portal number and the relevant phone’s hunt
group’s voicemail passcode.
Firstly, you will need to know the number for your Company Voice Portal. If you don’t have this code, please contact the help desk.
If you want to access a different voicemail than your own, please press the Star Key (*) on your desk
phone. Then it will prompt you for the ID of the hunt group or phone you want to access and once
entered, press Hash (#). If you do not have a list of Hunt Group Extension numbers or phone extension
numbers, we can supply this to you.
After you have entered the Extension number of the voicemail you want to access it will then prompt
you for the passcode for that extension voicemail mailbox.
After you complete all of these steps successfully, you’re in! Follow the voice prompts to navigate
through the voicemail system. If you are accessing a shared Phone or Hunt Group’s mailbox, please
record and share the passcodes with relevant personnel to avoid unnecessary lockouts, resets and
If you get any further issues please contact the help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I access ABCOM Hosted Exchange webmail?
OK, a nice feature of our Hosted Exchange (emails in the cloud), is you can access these anywhere without needing a mail client like Outlook.
Browse to: outlook.hs20.net and put in your email address and password in the boxes below.
Click Sign In and then next. You should then be able to view your emails.
If you need further help please call us.
Back to Index