Cyber security can be a problem, with everyone relying on computers and the internet today we need to keep protected from risks and dangers big and small.
Risks to data can cause major problems and unfortunately, there is never a 100% guarantee of protection. There are however things you can do to help prevent any security issues or malicious viruses to your computer. Programming errors can occur in software and hackers can take advantage of these errors to infect your computer.
Hackers are becoming more and more here sophisticated and they are here to stay.
Here are our top six tips to help you stay protected:
- Keep a close eye on all your credit card statements, always check them carefully for anything that stands out and investigate immediately any unauthorized purchases.
- Set a notification purchase limit via your bank account/credit card, to ensure that you are always alerted should a purchase go over your limit.
- Never give out your personal data to unsolicited calls especially. Always check the website you are buying something from, ensure it has a closed padlock symbol at the bottom right of the screen and always make sure the web address starts with the prefix https://.
- Passwords need to be protected so change them regularly and make them strong not weak ones.
- Avoid sending your personal data (like account numbers) over email, this puts you at risk of being intercepted.
- Be aware of suspicious emails, always check the email address is one you recognise and avoid downloading any attachments from unknown sources.